Kansas Class C Operator
State UST Operator Training Regulation
Kansas Storage Tank Program Overview
August 1, 2012
Frequency Of Training
Refresher training will be offered every four years to UST Operators that have not changed positions in their places of work or have not received duties requiring additional responsibility. However, additional training will be ordered if KDHE determines that a facility has operated UST without permits, or the USTs at that facility have been found to be out of compliance with state and federal UST regulations.
Timing Of Class C Training
Class C operator is trained prior to assuming unsupervised responsibility for responding to emergencies at UST system facilities.
Requirements Of Class C Training
KDHE considers Class C UST Operators to be those employees who work at facilities with USTs. These employees are not considered to be managers. However, they may help out with daily release detection reporting or performing other UST-related duties as requested by their managers. Those employees who work behind the cash registers at convenience stores or who would be the first to notice or find out that there is something wrong with the gas pumps or dispensers should take the Class C UST Operator Training.
This course provides the Class C UST Operator an overview of the training needed to respond to emergency conditions at underground storage tank (UST) facilities. Our Class C Operator Course and Certification provides training on the following:
- Introduction to a generic UST facility including the major fuel system components and emergency equipment
- The roles and responsibilities of the Class A, B and C Operators.
- Site-specific emergency procedures development
- Emergency contact procedures
- Safety awareness for employees and customers
- Overfill prevention
- Monitoring of the UST facility
- Fire safety and introduction to fire extinguishers
- Alarm panel recognition and response procedures
- Fuel spill containment and cleanup
At the end of the course, a 10 question exam is administered and you will be required to answer 8 out of 10 questions correctly to be certified. When you pass the exam, you will be able to download your certificate of completion from the student log-in page.