Montana Class C Operator
State UST Operator Training Regulation
ARM 17.56.15. Operator Training
August 8, 2012
Frequency Of Training
Initial only unless State requires retraining for non-compliant facilities
Timing Of Class C Training
Class C operator is trained and certified before assuming full responsibility for responding to emergencies
Requirements Of Class C Training
A Class C operator is an employee and is, generally, the first line of response to events indicating emergency conditions. This individual is responsible for responding to alarms or other indications of emergencies caused by spills or releases from UST systems. This individual notifies the Class B or Class A operator and appropriate emergency responders when necessary. Not all employees of the facility are necessarily Class C operators. This individual typically and at a minimum must be trained to:
- Control or monitor the dispensing or sale of regulated substances, and
- Take action as initial response to emergencies:
Situations posing an immediate danger or threat to the public or to the environment and that require immediate action.
Alarms caused by spills or releases from an UST system.
Who to contact in the event of a surface spill, suspected release, equipment alarm or equipment malfunction, and how to contact them
This course provides the Class C UST Operator an overview of the training needed to respond to emergency conditions at underground storage tank (UST) facilities. Our Class C Operator Course and Certification provides training on the following:
- Introduction to a generic UST facility including the major fuel system components and emergency equipment
- The roles and responsibilities of the Class A, B and C Operators.
- Site-specific emergency procedures development
- Emergency contact procedures
- Safety awareness for employees and customers
- Overfill prevention
- Monitoring of the UST facility
- Fire safety and introduction to fire extinguishers
- Alarm panel recognition and response procedures
- Fuel spill containment and cleanup
At the end of the course, a 10 question exam is administered and you will be required to answer 8 out of 10 questions correctly to be certified. When you pass the exam, you will be able to download your certificate of completion from the student log-in page.