Tait UST Operator Training

Tait Training

UST Testing in Texas

TAIT is performing underground storage tank testing in Texas. With a long history of secondary containment testing and tank system installation/removal/repairs, we are ideally situated to assist in the transition to a more heavily regulated petroleum storage tank environment. Our technicians can operate as the B Operator, perform the 60-day sump inspections and look for repairs needed, pull permits and in some instances complete the repairs in the same day.

Corrosion Protection Testing

If you have a steel tank, Piping or metal fittings that are in contact with native soil, backfill material or any type of water a Corrosion Protection system is required. There are three ways to meet the Corrosion Protection requirements. A Sacrificial Anode system, Impressed Current system or Isolation of the components from native soil, backfill material or water. Sacrificial Anode systems require testing every three years by a certified CP Tester.  Impressed Current systems must be inspected every 60 days by the owner/operator to ensure that the rectifier and other system components are operating properly and tested every three years by a certified CP tester. Steel Tanks or Piping can be Coated, Jacketed or made out a non-corrosive material like fiberglass to meet the isolation requirements. If you have installed sumps or transition boxes to isolate any metal fittings you have to ensure that it remains free of water or debris. It is recommended that they be inspected after any inclement weather to ensure that water in not in contact with any metal fittings.

Release Detection Requirements

The TCEQ approved tank testing in conjunction with inventory control on all UST systems until December 22, 1998. Now all tanks have to have an approved method of release detection that can detect a leak from the primary containment that routinely contains a regulated substance within 30 days. The release detection method registered with TCEQ will determine if a tank tightness test is required every 5 years or another type of inspection or testing is required monthly. By 2014 all UST systems will have to conduct Monthly Monitoring to meet the release detection methods.

Product Line Testing

Product line testing can be conducted on pressurized piping, conventional suction systems and gravity delivery systems to meet the release detection requirements. If an approved monthly monitoring release detection method is selected on the TCEQ registration form, then piping tightness testing is not required.  Pressurized piping can be tested two different ways, a Monthly test with a pass/fail threshold of 0.2GPH (Gallons Per Hour) or annually with a pass/fail threshold of 0.1GPH. Suction and Gravity piping have to be tested every 3 years with a pass/fail threshold of 0.1GPH. All testing systems have to be third party certified to meet the EPA standard of 95% probability of detection and 5% probability of false alarm. If your suction piping is installed so that the liquid will drain into the tank if the primary line is breached and it meets the other requirements in Title 30/Part 1/Chapter 334/Subchapter C/Rule 334.50(b)(2)(B)(ii) Release Detection is not required.

Pressure Line Leak Detector Testing

The EPA requires that pressurized piping must have an automatic line leak detector along with another form of release detection. The line leak detector must be third party certified to the EPA standard of 3GPH @ 10PSI and be tested annually.

Containment Sump Inspections and Hydrostatic Testing

In some instances, Containment Sumps must be inspected if they are used for interstitial monitoring. Specifically, if the sump was installed before 1/1/2009 it must be inspected every 60 days, but if the sump was installed after 1/1/2009 it is required to have an annual inspection and hydrostatic testing every three years. The person inspecting the sump must have knowledge and experience with Underground Storage Tank systems. If electronic measuring equipment is used for the three year hydrostatic test, the person conducting the test must be manufacturer certified in the test equipment.

Some of the Texas Team at a UST site
Some of the Texas Team at a UST site

If you have any questions about UST Testing requirements in Texas, please contact us. We will be happy to answer them.